Sunday, July 30, 2017

Both hands take away







If you have somehow forgetten you have money in a bank account and move away, you will be relieved to know that your money does not go into the bank coffee fund.   There's a process set up to attempt contact but eventually the governing body for banks, The Bank of Canada here in Canada, receives the funds.   Here are some details.   You can check on-line if yu have been remiss in keeping track of all your funds.

A news story on the topic prompted me to check and lo and behold it appeared somehow in our youth $40 had been left behind.   The on-line form is reasonably quick and easy to fill out but then you wait.   Remember, the government only works quickly and ruthlessly when you owe them.   Long since forgotten as a momentary impulse, a couple of months later the Bank of Canada letter appears in the mail.   We may have been hoping for a cheque but, no.

There's a four page form, densely written, to read and blank lines to fill out.  The Bank of Canada had helpfully filled in the line indicating one balance of $40 was being claimed.  But although the government tax department is happy to receive a large cheque from me paying my income tax bill and even credit card payment for the medical services premiums of $150 monthly, this $40 return of my own money requires a statutory declaration before a Notary or Commissioner for taking Oaths.   The cost of a lawyer or notary visit would eat up most if not all of said $40.   Then there is the request for an account passbook/cheque book/statement that matches the account number.   Would it be facile to suggest that were I in possession of this I would be aware of the money and would have made arrangements to have it sent to me long ago.

At this point I was relieved to discover that the offending bank account resided in Ontario where we have never lived and apparently belonged to someone with the same name.   We forget that such people exist, no matter how special and unique we think our name is.

Let him work for the forty dollars.

1 comment:

  1. Ei-yi-yi, what a rigmarole to try to get one's money back. I did look into it one time, and no, I don't have any forgotten money floating around out there. I'm kind of glad I don't because it sounds like it's more hassle than its worth to get it back.

    ReplyDelete